Finally your company has started to gain traction the clients are happy with your email and virtual manner, the product is to their specifications and it’s all running along smoothly. You have the want to expand now, the immediate market is lucrative but what about the overseas clientele, they could be a brilliant source of income as well, in walks business travel and you have no plan for it but you just go for it and start booking trips to see potential clients none of which work out and the capital that you had raised has almost dried up, so before that happens implement a Corporate travel budget to ensure overspending and rewards do not get missed,
- Booking restrictions, from the outset you can put into effect a plan of action for all bookings that go through the company, this means that charges like room service, laundry service, necessary tipping, entertainment, eating and drinking can all be accounted for so that you and your employees understand the guidelines before they’ve even left their seat. Also make it a pre requisite for any travel to be made through comparison sites like Airbnb, Enjoy Car Hire, Kayak and Booking.com then the same tickets checked through the home site.
- Budget for travel, this should assist you in making the right decision on whether you can make that arrangement at this point in the business, if your outgoings do not allow for the maximum expansion plan right now then look for a minimal way to expand then add to that when the initial travel is successful.
- Spreadsheet it all, although you have these other plans in place you will still need to keep track of them and be certain that they are being adhered to. Unnecessary expenditure could be OK the first couple of times it crops up but down the line it will just end up hurting the business so keep it all in check, yourself and your employees.
- Plan ahead and last minute, always book ahead if it’s possible, avoid weekend travel, early morning travel and peak travel destinations if it’s possible. Try booking meetings around the time of the cheapest flights and accommodation.
- Rewards for everyone, have a rewards system interlinked to all travel where if there are places that you will travel to consistently then get discounts with the locals on the promise that you will provide them the business of your colleagues and clients. Then communicate this to your team so they know how best to keep the business running well and grab a bonus if it’s up there. Claiming on these expenses is also extremely important so a guide as to what is and isn’t claimable is great for you.