Ever since I first saw images of Dubai a few years ago, I have been fascinated with the place. It is just one of those places that have a lot of amazing things about it (it is named one of the world’s most expensive cities for a reason!), it went from being an obscure place that not many knew about, to a lush and luxurious city seemingly (to us in the USA I guess) overnight. If you have never heard of this place, read the wiki – it is interesting to say the least.
Dubai is a city and emirate in the United Arab Emirates known for luxury shopping, ultramodern architecture and a lively nightlife scene. Burj Khalifa, an 830m-tall tower, dominates the skyscraper-filled skyline. At its foot lies Dubai Fountain, with jets and lights choreographed to music. On artificial islands just offshore is Atlantis, The Palm, a resort with water and marine-animal parks.
Today I have rounded up my favorite images of the exotic place – these will give you a peek into the breathtaking man made world of Dubai – truly a jewel in the desert. The first time you see the place, it looks unreal – and it is hard to believe that such a place exists on this planet. Although if you read deep into the wiki, you notice that like all things on earth – it has its faults, nothing is perfect, but its still pretty amazing :).
Today, Dubai City has emerged as a global city and a business hub. Although Dubai’s economy was built on the oil industry, the emirate’s model of business drives its economy, with the effect that its main revenues are now from tourism, real estate, and financial services, similar to that of Western countries. Dubai has recently attracted world attention through many innovative large construction projects and sports events. This increased attention has highlighted labour rights and human rights issues concerning its largely South Asian workforce. Dubai’s property market experienced a major deterioration in 2008 and 2009 as a result of the worldwide economic downturn following the Financial crisis of 2007–2010.
It is also fascinating to read about some of the specific things there, like the world’s tallest Skyscraper, the worlds largest in-door ski resort, the man-made islands The Palm Islands, and The World Project.
Since we had originally written this post in 2011 a lot has changed in this region, so here is a bit of an update to this post!
Today, Dubai is a major financial center and a popular tourist destination. The city is home to many world-famous landmarks, including the Burj Khalifa (previously mentioned), the world’s tallest building. Dubai is also known for its luxury shopping, its vibrant nightlife, and its beautiful beaches.
Dubai is a city of contrasts. It is a modern city with a rich history. The city is home to people from all over the world, and it is a melting pot of cultures. Dubai is a city that is constantly changing, and it is a city that is always surprising.
Here are some of the things that you can do in Dubai today:
- Visit the Burj Khalifa: The Burj Khalifa is the world’s tallest building, and it is a must-see for any visitor to Dubai. The views from the top of the Burj Khalifa are simply stunning.
- Shop at the Dubai Mall: The Dubai Mall is the world’s largest shopping mall, and it is a shopper’s paradise. You can find anything you want to buy at the Dubai Mall, from clothes to electronics to souvenirs.
- Go to the beach: Dubai is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. You can relax on the beach, swim in the ocean, or go for a walk along the shore.
- Visit the Dubai Museum: The Dubai Museum is a great place to learn about the history of Dubai. The museum is located in the Al Fahidi Fort, which is one of the oldest buildings in Dubai.
- Take a desert safari: A desert safari is a great way to experience the desert landscape of Dubai. You can go on a camel ride, sandboarding, or dune bashing.
- Visit the Jumeirah Mosque: The Jumeirah Mosque is one of the most popular mosques in Dubai. The mosque is open to visitors, and you can learn about Islam and Arabic culture.
- Go to a traditional Emirati restaurant: There are many traditional Emirati restaurants in Dubai. You can try delicious Emirati food, such as lugaimat (a type of pancake) and harees (a type of porridge).
These are just a few of the many things that you can do in Dubai today. Dubai is a city that has something to offer everyone, and it is a city that you will never forget.
Enjoy the Photography! Take a second and click on some of the images if you want to learn more about them (some of the descriptions are truly interesting!!!)