Last year, the owner of a WordPress site made a record sale, he received more than $50,000 by selling the respective masterwork on market websites. It’s true, it’s a record and it’s an exception, but a lot of money may be gained from selling website templates. It’s awesome not only because the amount of money is respectable, but also because it’s catalogued as passive income.
Here are seven amazing ways to obtain passive income online, updated for the current year:
- Start a blog or website. If you have a passion for writing or creating content, you can start a blog or website and monetize it through advertising, affiliate marketing, or selling products or services.
- Create an online course. If you have expertise in a particular subject, you can create an online course and sell it to students all over the world.
- Sell digital products. If you have created digital products, such as e-books, music, or software, you can sell them online through your own website or through a third-party marketplace.
- Start an affiliate marketing business. If you have a website or blog with a lot of traffic, you can start an affiliate marketing business and earn commissions by promoting other people’s products or services.
- Invest in real estate. If you have the money to invest, you can buy real estate and rent it out to tenants. This can be a great way to generate passive income over time.
- Start a dropshipping business. If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of inventory or shipping, you can start a dropshipping business. With dropshipping, you simply sell products on your website and then have the products shipped directly to your customers from the supplier.
- Create a YouTube channel. If you have a creative streak, you can create a YouTube channel and monetize it through advertising or sponsorships.
These are just a few of the many ways to obtain passive income online. With a little effort, you can create a stream of income that will allow you to work less and enjoy life more.
You don’t have to be an expert accountant to know that all income may be “brutally” divided into two main categories:
- Active income, is in fact the payment received for the work you have done- i.e., the .ai file of a logo or of a vectorial drawing, the coding of a website etc. Unfortunately the money received are usually dependent on the number of hours worked or on the number of projects finished.
- Passive income is the kind of the income that isn’t regularly realized. This income is formed by selling templates, drafts, usually products that may be sold multiple times and each buyer is customizing the purchased product.
Definitely, the active types of income are safer but it is work that takes up your time and while the days are still 24 hours long, it’s more than obvious that your time is limited. The passive incomes are unsure, nobody may rely solely on these kinds of earnings to pay the monthly bills but is very advantageous because it’s the result of a single item created. Designers work to have an active income but, superficially thinking, they ignore the “passive” possibilities. In order to highlight some possibilities of making money while sleeping, (this is not necessary!) we have created this post for you.
We hope this will help anyone who wants to gain more money passively and wish you good luck in yours attempts!
1. Sell stock photos
This is a very nice activity and some people really make some good amounts of money from. It’s simply: you buy a good photo camera, enjoy nature with your family and friends and of course, the best landscapes are immortalized. The best shoots are uploaded on various online photos markets and over time, the interested people will turn into buyers. Depending on the inspiration of the photographer and the quality of the images, this can became a reliable source of extra money.
The benefit of this is obvious, you enjoy some amazing moments and your happiness brings money once it is well photographed. The happier you are, then the more creative you can be with your Photography and capture your images from an interesting perspective that can capture the interest of viewers and turn even more into fans & buyers.
2. Create Amazing WordPress Themes & Sell Them
Making $50,000 from a single theme is fantastic but, once again, it’s a record and not always typical. In spite of that, creating amazing Word Press themes that are very customizable and easy to use for the less code savvy expert is a good plan. Apparently, this kind of job seems to be more and more profitable because people really like the beauty and the potential of Word Press but can’t always afford the custom CMS experience, and that is what is affordably brought to them by Templates and Themes.
Selling website templates will be always a profitable affair, there is a human trait that is common, and that is not to be patient, and these are the solutions that require the least amount of time to setup and create an online presence. It’s smart decision to profit from this!
3. Sell articles
There are some signs that show us that in 2012 and the next years, the role of writers will became more and more important. The algorithms of the search engines will base more on the power of text content and the blog owners know this intention. Anyway, on the Internet are presented many market places where articles may be uploaded and sold. A problem related to selling articles is the price, these are very low comparing to the work done but there are places where a 1000+ words length article can be sold for around $30-40 (obviously, the quality is high, well-written and containing precious information).
4. Sell graphic files
Every day lots of Designers start many personal projects and some of these get finished while others are still in progress. Surely, each designer has some abandoned files that need very few improvements or changes to be polished, and these could become nice products to sell. A pragmatic guy will collect these unused files and upload them to a websites that sell graphic files and some people may be interested and buy these. An abandoned model of business card, an unfinished logo or a cool favicon are potential items that may be sold and bring some money to the original creator.
5.Sell “how to” e-books
Another solution for passive income is the creation of “how to” e-books. These are usually .pdf format and the length varies, from few pages to max 50 (even more but it’s not recommended). The great advantage of these books is the fact that don’t require very much time to be written (comparing to printed books); these are created by experts and are summaries of more complicated topics & tasks. The mechanism behind this is very simple: someone who is at a pro level writes a .pdf explaining a situation or how to resolve a problem or teach them a subject, and an individual who is interested in the Topic buys it. It’s beneficial for both sides, isn’t it?
6.Write a book
For those that want more, writing a book is the next logical step. This is a more complicated activity but it’s globally known what kind of benefits writing a good book can bring, if it’s interesting and useful, the author will bring in a good profit from it. Unfortunately, the creation of a good book isn’t a job for amateurs; it’s a very difficult and time consuming activity that can take months or years.
7. Create T-shirts designs
Inspired designers who have enough time may create T-shirts concepts that can be sold. It’s cool to play with your imagination, create something cool then sell it. T-shirts are very popular and if you think up enough good ideas this practice can result in a very fun income stream for you.
As you can see, anyone can add some extra bucks to their budget, but this is nothing more than paying attention to these different techniques of making money. Clearly there are a ton more ways to make extra money, but these are the most effective and common at the moment.
Our Final Advice: don’t expect fast results, this is more about patience and quality! Things that are gained easily, are often not worth having 🙂